About Me

My photo
If I can just give to the world more than I take from it, I will be a very happy man. For there is no greater joy in life than to give. Motto : Live, Laugh and Love. You can follow me on Twitter too . My handle is @Raja_Sw.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Demonetisation, Note Ban - the saga in couplets

For a while now, I’ve been wanting to write about this demonetization, or note ban (whatever you want to call it). If for nothing else, just to get it out of my system. It’s been bothering me for days now – especially when I read about all that’s happening as a result of it, most of it not positive.

But I decided against writing about it here. There’s SO much out there already, written by people far more competent than me, so what additional insight can I provide, that has not already been provided by someone?

I have tweeted rather extensively on the topic – but it continues to bother me. So finally this evening, I decided I’d write SOMETHING. I’d like to say “short and sweet”, but I don’t find anything sweet about this, sorry. Maybe if things get better over time, I’ll commend this move, but for now, I’m staying firmly in the present.

Instead of writing in prose, I decided I’d write some couplets, for a change.

Let me warn you – there’s absolutely nothing new in the content, so if you’re looking for something new here, you’re wasting your time.

So here goes.
     

An attempt to describe recent events, this thread
And through couplets, show, to what this note ban has led

“Couldn’t have executed it better”, they said
Even as in queues and elsewhere, people were falling dead

“No pain no gain”, they said
Staying ever smug, not a tear shed

 “Minor inconvenience”, they said
Even as across the country, havoc spread

“For long-term good”, they said
What good ,and when, safely left unsaid

“Have to make sacrifices”, they said
For we live in comfort, while our border soldiers lie dead

“Kept it top-secret”, they said
Though there are signs, some did know ahead

“The corrupt are quaking”, they said
But, hey,  it’s the poor who’re breaking instead

“We’ll collect huge black money”, they said
Looking more like it’s turning white instead

“Just go cashless”, they said
Nonchalant, as a cash-heavy nation bled

“Give us fifty days”, they said
Soon revising  it to hundred-and-eighty instead

“Worked on it for ten months”, they said
To show this isn’t a rush of blood to the head

While stories of success to us are daily fed
All we can do is keep banging our head

Indeed fools rush in where angels fear to tread
And thus, in one fell swoop, shatter their very cred!

***

3 comments:

Avinash Scrapwala said...

Liked it very much. after all it came here on the blog after a long gap , i think. Can't say right now, if it was a 'right' move or not, but I only wish that it should be beneficial for the country and the 'right' peoples who day in and day out sincerely wants this country to prosper irrespective of their political alignments.

Raja Swaminathan said...

Thanks, Avinashji. Yes, it's been ages since I've written anything on the blog. I had almost forgotten it existed. :-)

Ava Suri said...

Wah wah! Very well said indeed. You have a wonderful way with words, Raja.